We all get there by 2pm: energy crash and a look at the clock (is it 5 yet?). Then, we wonder how we are going to power through the rest of our tasks, go home, have dinner, get the kids ready for bed, unwind, and fall asleep.
To avoid the 2pm horror, give yourself an afternoon pick-me-up by eating a tablespoon of coconut oil with a tablespoon of chia seeds (suggestion found in my last post No Caffeine Energy Boost).
Why Coconut Oil?
Coconut is packed full of nutrients that help the body function; and, it’s great for just about anything (I use it for moisturizer for my skin, lips and hair. I use it for cooking – it’s one of the few oils that don’t turn into a trans fat when cooking at higher temperatures. I use it for baby butt rashes. And most importantly, I use it for an energy pick me up).
- It boosts the immune system by fighting off bacteria in the body. So, when you consume it, it works to push those toxins out. Which leads to the next point:
- It boosts your metabolism. Score, the more you poop, the better you feel!
- It promotes heart health and prevents heart disease. A healthy heart gives you full reign to push yourself during exercise and get that blood pumping better.
- It helps brain function. Hello! We all need a better functioning brain. A clearer head makes for better decisions, thought process, and the ability to get through your day.
- It increases energy levels. More energy = more things get done! Yay!
To find out how else you can use coconut oil, check out Wellness Mama’s 101 Uses for Coconut Oil.
Why Chia Seeds?
- It’s high in fiber, protein and Omega 3s. Omega 3s promote brain health (more brain health is great for me; when I skip my omega 3s I can tell the difference – I forget things). Fiber helps with metabolism (increased metabolism, means the body is ridding itself of more toxins). And protein, helps fuel you until you eat next by keeping you fuller longer.
- It stabilizes your blood sugar. So, you don’t get those crazy dips and crave something sweet.
- It improves digestion. So, the food you consume will be broken down quicker.
- It keeps you energized – which is what we want to avoid the 2pm crash.
To read more benefits of Chia Seeds check out Naked Cuisine’s 10 Benefits of Chia Seeds.
Eating Coconut Oil with Chia Seeds is the no-caffeine, nutrient-packed boost you need to get through the rest of your day.
If you don’t want to eat coconut oil with chia seeds straight off a spoon (sometimes the texture creeps people out), add a tablespoon of each to a smoothie to get the benefits. I like making it tropical, try this:
Lulu Lively’s Tropical Smoothie:
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 TB Coconut Oil
- 1TB Chia Seeds
- 1 TB Almond Butter
- 1/2 C Spinach
- 1/2 C to 1 C Almond Milk
Blend away and enjoy the tropical goodness!
How do you avoid the 2pm crash horror? Comments Welcomed and/or follow this conversation on Facebook.
***Note: Lulu Lively is not an expert in nutrition, diet, and exercise. Posts written are strictly research findings collected over time. It is recommended you research these findings yourself and consult with your physician or physical trainer if these recommendations are good for you.